A COMPLETE CURRICULUM MODULE
Battling Extinction utilizes dynamic storytelling to outline a wide range of human and environmental impacts that are leading to potential animal extinction. Each story depicts the specific causes of extinction and the potential effects on the environment if the trend is not reversed. Students are introduced to simple actions in their own lives that can empower them to help solve the problem.
TARGET GRADE LEVEL: 6-9
• A complete digital curriculum
• Animated stories
• Text-based science information
• Links to additional resources
• Group review questions
• Practice quizzes
• Assessment with results emailed to the teacher
• All printable pages
COST AND SECURITY
• Free to use and share
• No In-App purchases
• No personal data collected
MEETS THE FOLLOWING NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS
Practices For K-12 Science Classrooms
• Asking questions
• Constructing Explanations and designing solutions
• Engaging in argument from evidence
Cross Cutting Concepts
• Cause and Effect
• Energy and Matter
• Stability and Change
Disciplinary Core Ideas
• MS-ESS3-2 Natural Hazards and Catastrophic Event
• MS-ESS3-3 Human Impact on the Environment
• MS-ESS3-4 Human Consumptions impact on Earth Systems
• MS-LS2-2 Construct an explanation that predicts patterns of interactions among organisms across multiple ecosystem
• MS-LS2-4 Changes to an ecosystem affect populations
• MS-LS2-5 Maintaining Biodiversity
• MS-LS2.C: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience
• MS-LS4.D: Biodiversity and Humans
• MS-LS21 Effects of resources on Organisms in an Ecosystem
ACCOMMODATES THE FOLLOWING LEARNING STYLES:
• Visual (spatial): pictures, images, and spatial understanding.
• Aural (auditory-musical): sound and music.
• Verbal (linguistic): speech and writing.
• Physical (kinesthetic): touch - interactivity.
• Logical (mathematical): logic, reasoning and systems.
• Social (interpersonal): group learning.
• Solitary (intrapersonal): self-study.
ABOUT THE CREATORS
Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University partnered with Kenowa Hills Public Middle Schoolers and science teachers to create this media as part of the EPIC project. The science content and assessment were developed, researched and verified by Kenowa Hills Public School students and teachers. The animated stories and graphic user interface were created by KCAD Digital Media students. The Development (coding) was powered by the the KCAD Framework created by Digital Concierge.
2.9.1 For iphone
4.1 For iPhone