Autism iHelp is a vocabulary teaching aid developed by parents of a child with Autism and a speech-language pathologist. Autism iHelp was inspired by the need for specific language intervention tools for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder focusing on their unique strengths and difficulty with expressive vocabulary.
Autism iHelp is an invaluable tool for your child with Autism when those first words just don’t come. The colorful real-life photos are presented in an easy-to-label format.
This app includes several features:
- 24 real world photos; it has been proven that children with Autism respond best to photos as opposed to illustrations and are very visual learners. 24 photos chosen based on established expressive language milestones are divided into three sub groups of eight. With 24 photos, over-stimulation is less likely which increases the child’s ability to grasp the concepts at an appropriate rate.
- Labels of all photos with the option to turn off
the label as some children with Autism may be more drawn to the written word. At the end of eight images there will be an option to try again, aiding in repetition and drill required for learning new words.
- Option to have images presented at random or not, to additionally aid in generalization and concrete learning.
- When audio is selected, two voice options are available—male and female. This provides the most realistic experience for your child. There will also be an option to turn the audio off, which would prompt your child to use his or her own voice and spontaneously label the learned words.
- This app also includes two Learning Enhancement activities. These learning activities are presented in a game-like format, and require the child to either match a picture to word given multiple word choices or choose the word that goes with the picture in a field of 4 pictures. These games check retention of the learned vocabulary and integrate auditory and visual memory. Additionally, you are able to track your child's gains through progress reports that average the last 3 performances of each learning enhancement activity.
Autism iHelp - Food app includes groups of fruits, vegetables, and everyday foods. Foods were chosen based on popularity among preschoolers, and healthy choices. These photos are very motivating and can be used for requesting a food or labeling a food.
“with Autism iHelp…..it gets better.”